This recipe is an addition to my previous post of regular potato-egg salad, but with beetroots added!
This recipe serves 8.
- 8 medium potatoes (preferably red potatoes because they are waxy, so they retain their shape after being boiled)
- 1 1/2 cups mayonaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 2 small beetroots, diced
- 5 eggs
- Boil peeled potatoes and eggs in salted water. If you want to add the beetroot, also boil them (but separately as beetroot turns the water pinkish).
- Dice the potatoes (and beetroots if you are adding them) and add to a large bowl
- Mix together mayonnaise, cider vinegar, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl
- Add to potatoes
- Add the onion and celery
- Stir in the diced eggs and beetroots
- Serve chilled
NOTE: It’s important to follow these steps as opposed to just mixing all the ingredients in order to achieve the perfect consistency.
Fun facts about beetroot:
- One cup of raw beetroot contains 58 calories, 13 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of protein
- One cup of beetroot provides 1% of daily vitamin A requirements, 2% of calcium, 11% of vitamins C and 6% of iron.
- Beetroot is a rich source of folate and manganese
- It also contains thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B-6, pantothenic acid, choline, betaine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper and selenium
- Ingestion of beetroot lowers blood pressure and contributes to increasing overall heart health
- Beetroot juice can improve oxygenation to the brain, thus slowing the progression of dementia in older adults
- Due to it’s high fibre content, it reduces constipation
- Contains choline, which helps with sleep, muscle movement, learning and memory as well as helps to maintain the structure of cellular membranes, aids in the transmission of nerve impulses, assists in the absorption of fat and reduces chronic inflammation
For more information on the health benefits of beetroot visit http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/277432.php