This recipe is an addition to my previous post of regular potato-egg salad, but with beetroots added!
This recipe serves 8.
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 1 -3 tablespoons mayonaise (as you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 small beetroots, diced
- 4 eggs
- Boil potatoes and eggs in salted water. If you want to add the beetroot, also add them to the pot. Boil eggs for ~ 15 – 20 minutes; boil potatoes and beets until fork goes through.
- Dice the potatoes and add to a large bowl
- Stir in the diced eggs and beetroots
- Mix in mayonnaise, vinegar, and salt
- Serve chilled
Fun facts about beetroot:
- One cup of raw beetroot contains 58 calories, 13 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of protein
- One cup of beetroot provides 1% of daily vitamin A requirements, 2% of calcium, 11% of vitamins C and 6% of iron.
- Beetroot is a rich source of folate and manganese
- It also contains thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B-6, pantothenic acid, choline, betaine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper and selenium
- Ingestion of beetroot lowers blood pressure and contributes to increasing overall heart health
- Beetroot juice can improve oxygenation to the brain, thus slowing the progression of dementia in older adults
- Due to it’s high fibre content, it reduces constipation
- Contains choline, which helps with sleep, muscle movement, learning and memory as well as helps to maintain the structure of cellular membranes, aids in the transmission of nerve impulses, assists in the absorption of fat and reduces chronic inflammation
For more information on the health benefits of beetroot visit http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/277432.php
One thought on “Beetroot Potato-Egg Salad”